Peanut Butter Chocolate Cookie Dough Balls
I had a extended long weekend for the Canadian Civic Holiday. Happy birthday to me! This meant lots of treats & feasts! Finally had to cut off the ‘celebrations’ today, my body is missing my controlled health food. My birthday treat of choice are these Peanut Butter Chocolate Cookie Dough Balls! They have no refined sugar (sprinkles don’t count okay!), and are no bake.
- 1 can Chickpeas (drained & rinsed)
- 10 Pitted Dates
- 4 T Natural Peanut Butter
- 1/4 t Salt
- 1/4 t Baking Soda
- 1 t Vanilla Extract
- 3 T Oats
- 1 T Honey (Maple Syrup or Stevia could work too)
- 1 c Dark Chocolate Chips
- 1 T Coconut Oil
- Sprinkles (Optional)
- Place dates in a container half covered with water. Microwave for 30 seconds, mash dates, and microwave for another 30 seconds.
- In a food processor combine chickpeas, date paste, peanut butter, salt, baking soda, vanilla & oats. Blend on high until smooth.
- Add sweetener of choice to taste. You may find it sweet enough with just the dates! I used 1 tablespoon honey.
- Plop drops on a baking sheet, this made about 20 for me. The dough will be sticky so stick them in the freezer to harden up a little bit.
- Place a bowl in a sauce pan with boiling water. Melt 1 cup dark chocolate chips with 1 tablespoon Coconut Oil.
- When cookie dough plops are chilled you will be able to roll them into smooth balls (see photo below).
- Using a spoon, dunk them in the melted chocolate, and place on parchment paper or muffin liners.
- Top with sprinkles (other options include: cacao powder, coconut flakes, chopped nuts, cinnamon, etc.) before the chocolate is hardened.
- Store in the fridge. These things are the best chilled! Be sure to save some straight up cookie dough to eat with a spoon.
These cookie dough balls were attempt #2. My first attempt was more of a ‘Reese Cup’ version. I brought them for my coworkers on Thursday, and although they were a little messy, they were still delicious! I used too much almond milk in my chocolate coating, so they never harden properly. I got teased for baking my own birthday treats, but I enjoy it & wanted to make sure they were healthy :P. Below are my messy cups, I had to taste test one to ensure quality of course! I put them in these super cute silicone baking cups I found at the dollar store, what a steal!
I had left over ‘Cookie Dough’ and left it in the fridge over night. It was even better the next day! I added dark chocolate chips & it was heavenly just eaten with a spoon.